venerdì 13 gennaio 2017

5 months

08/12/2016 – 01/12/2017
5 months ago I left my city, my family, my friends, my school, my country, my language and all my certainties, with a suitcase full of clothes, a passport and flight ticket to  Colorado, United States.
Well, 5 months have passed, so the  half of my exchange year, and this makes me sad, happy, proud, and a thousand of other emotions that I cannot even describe.
Exactly today I have been asked to write an essay entitled “what it means to be a US Citizen” and I was actually  kinda unprepared because I am not American and I have been living in the US for just 5 months.
After being confused I realized  that, even if I am not, and I will probably never be , a US Citizen, I feel like  this country gave, and still gives, to me a lot; this is a every-day challenge: the morning you wake up and then you go to school and at school  you will never know if you’ ll make new friends and if that happens,  as soon as say your name and what grade you are in,  the next words he/she will say are “ you have such a cool accent, where are you from? , or if someone will ask you another weird question ( did you guys know that Paris is a beautiful Italian city? Or that Italians speak France?) or maybe you will have to read something aloud and this will make you feel uncomfortable and anxious, etc....
 Yet, at the same time you will grow, you will be more patient,  you will be stronger, and you will learn to love your home country, you will learn to appreciate it and to be proud of it no matter how many problems it has, you’ll  love it.
So, even though sometimes I don’t like this country or I don’t understand it, or I would like to take the first flight and fly back to Italy, I love it and I call it HOME.

Mi scuso per non aver aggiornato ma sono capitate veramente tante cose, prometto di essere più Costante negli aggiornamenti dei prossimi mesi,
Un abbraccio e buon 2017 a tutti
Luisa

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento